Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Another day...

I had my last midwife apt. today. Let's just say it wasn't my best appointment ever. I knew what we had to discuss when I went in there....the all too dreaded word...."induction". I know alot of people don't understand why I don't want to be induced and think I'm a downright Nutcase for not wanting drugs. Hopefully I can explain 'why' right.

First, I must say I'm NOT trying to be tough or trying to show off....I promise. I'm not that brave. One of the biggest reasons is because I have always been very wary with putting chemicals into my body. Even tylenol or IBprofen is hard for me to swallow unless it is an ABSOLUTE necessity. Also, after all of the research I've done on the effects of chemicals like Pitocin and the epidural block...scare the CRAP out of me. No joke. If you really want to know...Google it...I won't go into details...I still have laundry to finish....

Also, I would rather use 'Natural' ways to relieve that pain. That's why I took hypnobirthing classes and am using a midwife to help me get through it. Honestly, if you really think about it....the hardest part of labor is over in a few short hours. If you can get through that then you have a much better chance of having a quicker delivery/recovery as well as a more alert happy baby.

Another reason I'm trying to avoid an induction is because I'm a firm believer in 'when a baby is ready to come...they'll come'. Your body shouldn't be pushed into labor....that is how women end up with surgical births and a much harder delivery.

I know there are medical reasons for induction and I know that my midwife has my best interest at heart. She told me that if I don't have this baby by Friday, I'm going to have to have a NST, ultrasound and blood run to make sure baby is okay still baking. Then, if everything is good, she'll let me go until Monday to be induced, but no later than that.

Sadly, I know that if I am given Pitocin to induce my labor, the pain will be ALOT more than if I would have gone into labor on my own. I understand that there is a possiblity of me having an epidural.

Luckily, I have GREAT midwives who will do there best to help me and I have prepared myself in every possible way to make it through without the drugs.

We'll see, though....But in the mean time...will you send me some labor vibes? Preferably by Friday...thanks.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is great you don't want to be induced and don't want to take any drugs. Every woman has the right to do her labor and delivery the way she wants. I hope you go into labor on your own soon like you want to. I'm sending lots of labor vibes your way: ~~~~~~~~~~

Lindell said...

ommmmmmmmmmmmmm (hang on I'm sending you labor vibes).

I say, way to go. I hope she decides to come soon!

Sally said...

I'm behind you all the way!! I can't wait to meet her!

Meg said...

Oh Crystal!!! I hope that she decides to come soon. It's so hard to be so preggo! Good luck with everything! I'm sure you will do great, some of my cousins did hypnobirthing and they loved it.

Anonymous said...

Have you done any massage? There are several pressure points that will help naturally induce labor. You can google it. We did this with Sammi. Can't say it started her but she did feel cramping after we did it. Worth a try.

Angie in Wyoming

Anonymous said...

I am very passionate about the subject of birth. I usually end up wishing I had said less whenever it comes up, but I totally agree with you here. I think induction is WAAAAY overused. 40 weeks is just a pretty good guess. Some take longer, some are shorter. My 3 babies have been 10 days overdue, 12 days overdue, and 5 days overdue, respectively. On the third one I took more aggressive measures to ensure a closer-to-on-time delivery (taking a 5 week formula, doing evening primrose oil, and taking black and blue cohosh when I became "overdue").

I am very interested in hypno-birthing. I have delivered my babies without anesthetic, and for some reason this third time around, I really had a rough time psychologically. Of course, they were all very challenging physically, but this time I would have done much better if I had been better prepared mentally.

I am so with you on the anti-induction. As hard as it is to wait day after day, it is just so much less risky to go into labor on your own. If your midwife checks everything out and you are still fine, she shouldn't give you the absolute deadline of Monday, in my opinion.

Have you tried an electric breast pump?? I hooked up to one of those babies my 2nd time around for a couple hours one afternoon and then, bing! Out he came. . . 12 days late. :)

Anywho, way to be strong and wait for that baby to come on its own. It seems like SOOOOO long, those last few days. And then they are born, and you blink your eyes and they are 2 months old!