Wednesday, February 06, 2008

No More Momma's Milk??

Well, I think I've done it. I am pretty sure I've weaned Gavin from the Momma's Milk. Maybe. I say maybe because it has really only been two days since he last had his fill and there is still a slim possibility he might have a freak out session or get sick and I'll give in. I'm still kind of holding my breath, waiting for him to figure out what I've done and then he'll right a letter to his local La Leche League.


Don't get me wrong.... I LOVED breastfeeding. It was the hardest, easiest, most rewarding and best thing I've done for him so far and I am so proud of myself for sticking with it so long....but, as all good things must, it was time to end. 20 months was never my original goal. I was simply pushing for the one year mark and by the way things started out for us...I really didn't know if we'd make it. Before I had him, I knew my goal and I was Hell bent on not being another woman who felt defeated and turned to formula. I bought every book, grabbed every pamphlet and scoured the internet for advice on breastfeeding. I even joined the Babyzone Breastfeeding board so I could be in contact with Lactation Consultants and other women going through what I was going through. My good friend, Sally helped me out quite a bit too. I can't forget her!

For the first few months it was HELL! No joke. I remember being locked up in rooms just trying to nurse. He would fall asleep while nursing and it took everything to wake the kid back up to eat again. I was so frustrated and worried he wasn't getting enough to eat. Not to mention the nursing every hour on the hour throughout the night. Super fun! Oh yeah, and the not being able to nurse in public was getting ridiculous.

I remember swearing if I heard one more person tell me or someone else that I should put rice cereal in their bottle or give them formula so they'll go longer in between feedings I was going to SCREAM! It's a cop-out and stupid! That's not how it works! Your body and your baby set the schedule...not you crazy people!

Okay, now that that's off my chest...

Things didn't start looking up until after we cleared up some fun ear infections (that would allow me to only feed him while he was sleeping and in awkward positions)....Then it was heaven. The bonding and the cuddling go unsurpassed in my book. I love it and I still love it! I love how healthy and smart he is and I love that he got it all from me.....I've never had to buy formula or bottles.

So to all you ladies trying to breastfeed.....It gets easier, I promise! It's so worth it!





***Now I better enter a disclaimer to this post....I'm not ragging on women who choose to formula feed! I'm just trying to give others who find breastfeeding difficult a leg up by sharing my thoughts and stories.


I think he's 4 month's in these pics....

I had milk that could feed an entire third world country. This kid was a chunk for the longest time. I thought I had a sumo baby for sure. But he slimmed down and this is him now....




I can't believe I lasted 1 year, 8 months and 2 days! (Don't ask me how I know that..)

3 comments:

lacey said...

You're so good to stick with it. I would have gone longer with Reagan, but I got pregnant and my milk was gone over night! I remember how chubby he was, so cute! And he gets cuter every time we see him!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you were able to stick with it. It's definitely one of the harder things in life.

Meg said...

I'm proud of you Crystal!! You are my inspiration! I've only been at it for 4 months, and it's about the hardest thing that I've done too, but it's worth it!