You know how everyone always knows exactly where they were, what they were doing and how they felt the moment something impacts history? I never fully understood this more until last Sunday night, while playing games at Tyler and Lacey's, when Tim's mom called with the news of the passing of our beloved prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley.
I know alot of you who read my blog are not LDS, have no idea that that means I'm a Mormon, or really don't understand the religion at all. I'm not going to take the time to explain our beliefs, but I am going to say that this man is the perfect embodiment of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. For me, he is the closest thing to living the life Jesus Christ teaches about and I am amazed at the life he led and how he carried himself from day to day.
He is the only prophet I knew and it was hard to understand that he will no longer greet us in General Conference. I loved his sense of humor, his love without reservation for EVERY SINGLE person in the world, and his devotion to the gospel. If only we could see through his eyes!
His words of encouragement and love were what taught me of the truth behind this amazing church. It was his words that converted me and truly taught me the truth. I am forever thankful we had this man on the earth. The world will always be a better place because he dwelt in it.
I know it may seem weird, but I am not sad...not at all. In fact, I am happy. I KNOW that he is in paradise right now, I KNOW he still lives, and I KNOW he is with his beloved wife for eternity. This is why I chose an eternal marriage. He has just cemented, in my mind, the truthfulness of the gospel. We will forever love him.
If anyone would like to learn of our beliefs or more on the prophet, here are some great links:
We Thank Thee, Oh God, for a Prophet....


2 comments:
What a beautiful tribute - I totally agree. I am grateful for my eternal marriage and the wonderful example Pres. Hinckley gave us. We were married in July of 1995 - just 4 months after he became the prophet. He and the 1st Presidency released the Proclamation on the Family shortly thereafter and my husband and I have been blessed to have that document and Pres. Hinckley's leadership during our entire marriage. A chapter has definitely closed in our lives, but I too am happy that he gets to be with his sweet wife and I am looking forward to the next chapter of leadership with President Monson at the helm of our church. (Thank you for inspiring me to put some of my thoughts about this monumental event into words - I generally avoid putting my thoughts down on paper.) - Cari Roundy cari@roundyfamily.us
He will be dearly missed. What an impact he's made on so many lives.
Post a Comment